Exact explanation: This is how "Others also searched for" works
- Users start a Google search. To do this, they enter one or more keywords in the search mask. They then press "Google search".
- It appears the first search results page (short: SERP; Search Engine Result Page). Besides ads, news, videos and other possible elements, each of the search results pages definitely contains the organic search results.
- An organic search result is any web page that is displayed in the search results and for which there is no advertisement. In the search results, the web pages are displayed based on a SERP snippet.
- The SERP snippet contains the title tag, which has the largest font size and a dark blue color. This is the title of the page. Below the tag is the meta description. Above the tag is the URL of the page.
- Users click on the title tag and arrive at the page. Typically, users visit the pages that appear highest on the search results page and/or whose complete metadata sounds the most compelling.
- Sometimes users notice after a very short time that they do not find any helpful content on the respective website. Then users leave pages after just a few seconds. This short visit to a website is known as a "short click".
- Google registers the short click. Since the primary goal of the search engine is to satisfy users, Google responds to a short-click by displaying the "Others also searched for" box.
- The box contains several keywords and links to other search queries, which should help users find better content than on the web page they left via short-click.
- If users click on one of the keywords or links in the box, a new search results page appears containing other search results.
- Google sets the links and search terms for the "Others also searched for" box by trying to better match the search intent of users.
Note: Some websites talk about a function called "Others also search for". Here, the verb "search" is specified in the present tense. However, there is no such feature on Google. The box is called "Others also searched for" - you should not be confused by other designations.
Free SEO Strategy Talk
In a free SEO strategy talk, we uncover untapped potential and develop a strategy to help you become more successful on Google.
Differentiation from other features in Google search
The "Others also searched for" feature should not be confused with other features such as "Similar searches". Usually, in the "Others also searched for" box (also called "short-click box"), completely different suggestions appear than in other Google features.
The suggestions in the short-click box are intended to match the user's search intent more precisely. This is particularly evident with general search terms, which can have many different search intentions. To give an example of this:
- If you enter a general keyword such as one of the twelve months (January, February, etc.), a wide variety of search results will appear.
- The search results range from entries on the website "Wikipedia" to fashion tips for the month to dictionary entries and much more.
- If a user clicks on the search result with the fashion tips and leaves the website via short-click, Google assumes that the user's search intention is in the area of fashion.
- Consequently, keywords and links with content related to fashion in the given month are listed in the short-click box. It is different with the "Similar Search Queries" feature, where rather general suggestions for search queries are given.
Do you know my SEO Newsletter?
What are the consequences of the short-click box for website operators and for SEO?
Anyone who owns a website is interested in it being rated well by search engine algorithms. The more authority the entire website and its individual web pages have, the more visibility it will have in the search results pages.
In order to positively influence the visibility on Google and other search engines in a targeted manner, search engine optimization (SEO for short) is carried out on the website and on the individual pages. SEO is a huge field of expertise in online marketing. SEO experts deal with the functions of Google search and with the constant updates of Google.
With their experience and expertise, the experts try to help website operators cover the requirements of users and search engines such as Google in the best possible way on each individual website. The main focus is to satisfy the needs of the users, because Google is guided by the users. This is where the relevance of the short-click box for SEO comes into its own: it is a warning signal to work on one's own website exclusively with content that aptly covers the users' search intentions!
Website owners have the goal of reaching their own target group and offering a solution to the target group's concern with the content on their own website. The sooner the search intention is met, the better this succeeds. This increases the time users spend on the site, which is a positive user signal for Google and other search engines and helps to improve rankings.
If website operators write content themselves or have it written by authors, they should place a particularly high value on the analysis of search intent before writing. SEO tools that display the search intent for each keyword and, in addition, independent keyword research by checking the top 10 web pages for the respective keyword in the search results help to find out the search intent.
Finally, it is worth noting some other SEO criteria that reduce the likelihood of a short-click and promote user dwell time:
- Short loading times on the website (keyword: pagespeed)
- Website design appropriate for the target group to promote a love of reading
- Mobile optimization of all pages to facilitate operation on smartphones and tablets
- Generally good structure and usability of the website
I am one of the leading SEO experts in Germany I am well known from major media out lets such as Stern, GoDaddy, Onpulson & the Breakfast TV and have made over 100+ big name clients successful on Google.
I am one of the leading SEO experts in Germany
I am well known from major media out lets such as Stern, GoDaddy, Onpulson & the Breakfast TV and have made over 100+ big name clients successful on Google.